Corporate Renewables Procurement | Expert Q&A

You are invited to join international experts and leading professionals in an interactive Ask Me Anything Q&A on Corporate Procurement of Renewable Energy.

Who Will Answer My Questions?

Leading experts are standing by to answer your questions.

Gina, Bethany and Chad have introduced themselves below. Additional experts and practitioners will contribute as well.

Why Corporate Renewables Procurement?

Corporate procurement of renewables achieves important corporate objectives like cost-control and savings, risk mitigation, and ESG—and it is a vital driver of the clean energy transition. But corporate renewables procurement at scale can require combined effort between corporates, financiers, developers, and policymakers. And redirecting corporates’ investments toward renewable energy can be challenging, particularly in economies and sectors with relatively few case models to follow.

Are you working on or thinking about corporate renewables procurement? Would you like to connect with peers and experts pioneering this important work?

Please join this “Ask Me Anything” session on corporate renewables procurement.

More Details About this "Ask Me Anything"

How Long Does this AMA Last?

Our experts will be reading and responding to your questions between 10th January and 28th January 2022. Participants are encouraged to continue the discussion after that period.

How Do I Participate in this Session?

Before you post a question, make sure you create your account in the Clean Power Hub Community. After you create an account and complete your profile, you can post any questions you have about corporate renewables procurement in this thread. Questions on other topics should be directed elsewhere in the Clean Power Hub Community.

See instructions for how to navigate the AMA here. Please email hello@propelcleanenergy.com with any questions or technical issues.

What Questions Can I Ask?

You can ask anything on the topic of corporate procurement of renewables. Questions on other topics should be directed elsewhere in the Clean Power Hub Community. Please be sure to follow the Clean Power Hub Community Code of Conduct.

Can I Ask Questions Anonymously?

We strongly encourage you to post with a completed profile – including your name, photo and organization – to help build your networks and help others understand your background. But you can post questions anonymously if your question is sensitive for any reason.

You can post questions anonymously after you create your Clean Power Hub account by following these directions.

What If I Need In-Depth Support on this Subject?

The Clean Power Hub offers up to 40 hours of expert consulting services—at no cost.

See our Ask an Expert page for details on eligibility, process, available experts, and more.

2 Likes

Hello, everybody. I’m looking forward to speaking with you. A brief video introducing myself is below, and my professional biography follows that.

Chad Laurent, Esq. is a Principal at Cadmus . He specializes in renewable energy law and policy, sustainable business strategies, and renewable energy project development. Mr. Laurent has developed regulations, regulatory frameworks, power purchase agreement toolkits and procurement policies for countries across the globe. He has provided legal analysis of Indonesia’s Geothermal feed-in tariff policy, helped develop Azerbaijan’s draft renewable energy law, created a model power purchase agreement for Trinidad and Tobago, contributed to the drafting of a renewable energy law drafter’s guide for the United Nations Environment Programme, and to a study on the legal ability of U.S. states to set feed-in tariff rates for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. He has supported the development of minigrids and accompanying regulations and concession agreements for Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Lesotho, as well as toolkits for minigrid tariff design for African countries. He has supported the development of Vietnam’s first solar net metering policy, drafted renewable PPAs in Indonesia, and developed and delivered a 6-day regulatory and PPA training on behalf of NARUC and ADB for Pacific Island countries. Mr. Laurent has consulted to the World Bank, UNDP, UNEP, OAS, FMO-NL-Agency, and various regulators in the U.S. He holds a Juris Doctor from Suffolk University Law School where he was a Rappaport Honors Fellow in Law and Public Policy (in collaboration with the Rappaport Institute for Greater Boston at Harvard University), and a B.S. from the University of Michigan in Environmental Policy & Behavior and Natural Resource Ecology & Management. He is a professionally trained mediator, and facilitator, and is admitted to the Massachusetts Bar.

3 Likes

Dear all,

I am pleased to be here, and happy to answer any questions that I can. More on my background is below.

Best,

Gina

Gina Lisidiani has worked in the renewable energy and low emission development field in Indonesia for more than a decade. Based in Jakarta, Gina manages Allotrope’s business origination activities through engagement with qualified local partners, networking with relevant government offices, and navigating policy and regulatory requirements related to renewable energy project development, specifically focused on solar and low-head hydro deployment. Ms. Lisdiani holds her Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering and her Master’s Degree in Business and Technology from Bandung Institute of Technology.

3 Likes

Hello Clean Power Hub Community,

Happy to be here with all of you. I am excited to discuss corporate procurement of renewables with you, and help however I can.

Thank you,

Bethany

Bethany Speer is a Senior Researcher at NREL , where she manages international projects with a focus on efforts related to clean energy finance, investment and public-private partnerships. Since 2016, she has served as a co-lead of the Clean Energy Investment Accelerator (CEIA), a global program that addresses barriers to corporate clean energy investments in the commercial and industrial sectors in emerging economies. She is the partnership and investment services manager for the new Net Zero World program under the Biden administration’s Build Back Better World initiative.

3 Likes

considering all the risks involved in developing renewable energy project, What is the appropriate discount rate to use for a project?

2 Likes

Indonesia is the owner of the largest geothermal reserves, in your opinion what is the right combination to develop solar energy together with geothermal energy?

1 Like

What is the most issue in the implementation FIT (Feed-in Tariff) policy in Indonesia? And as far now what is the barriers in increasing development renewable energy in Indonesia?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Dear Bu Gina

Good day

To increase development of renewable energy, is there any open or public program to attract local business partners and end user in each major islands in Indonesia? Just wondering maybe it will be interested if the well known electrical equipment manufacturer or service provider can be invited for such open/public program resulting interesting collaboration right.

1 Like

Greetings, and thank you for your question! Right now the barriers to more renewable energy development in Indonesia are related to policy and regulatory design. Current regulations and legal frameworks will need to be examined and clarified in order to ensure that renewables can be deployed at a large scale and that they receive a reasonable and just compensation for the electricity they produce.

3 Likes

Hi Helvita, and thank you for your question! Could you clarify what you mean by discount rate? If you’re referring to what the expected return on investment should be for a developer, then that can vary widely. Across global markets we see expected returns range from as low as 5-6% for some homeowners looking to install solar depending on the local market and incentives, to 11-20%+ for commercial investors and large developers. The return required depends on how developed the renewables market is, location and national incentives, and how clear the legislation, regulations, and local development costs are. It’s critical that local approval processes are transparent.

1 Like

Dear Pak,

Thank you for your question. Under our initiative, currently we still don’t have that particular program. But we always oversee that potential opportunity. Perhaps in the future.

From the perspective of corporate buyers, supply of electricity from both technologies are accepted. However, in term of the development’s timeline, to develop solar PV is much faster than developing a geothermal power plant.
Therefore, at the moment solar PV is more favorable because it could help company meet their RE targets relatively quickly.